Monday, March 23, 2009

Johnny was a Chemist's Son . . .

Today the little-g gods of Chemistry conspired against me.

As hard as I tried, my precipitate would not turn black. Instead it stayed a raunchy yellow that looked like so much dried mustard, all the while giving off a horrible gas that smelled like egg salad. Which apparently is highly toxic . . . The gas, not egg salad, just to clear that up.

My security blankie, Jared, was not there. Neither was Robo-Rex. One confused TA stumbled around the lab and looked frightened when I shouted questions at him along the lines of, "WHY IS IT STILL YELLOW?!?! DO YOU KNOW WHY IT'S STILL YELLOW?!"

I can't say I blame him.

One good thing came out of class, though. I finally learned the pH of saliva: 8. This experiment came to life when I decided to spend the rest of our 3 hour lab period not analyzing my lunch-smelling vial of jaundiced slurry.

See? Even when I'm being unproductive, I can still learn stuff!

1 comment:

  1. Johnny was a chemist's son
    But Johnny is no more
    For what he through was H20
    Was really H2SO4

    ReplyDelete