Thursday, February 25, 2010

Undead

Best day I've had in a long time. 

Finally got to watch Zombieland. I was a skeptic, I'll admit. I wouldn't have even looked twice at the movie if Aymara hadn't brought it home. I had no idea that a zombie movie could be so . . . Heartwarming? And absolutely hilarious. I mean, it had Bill Murray, for heaven's sake! Bill Murray! 

I've never thought of zombies as particularly frightening. I mean, being undead and all, I assumed their reflexes would be slowed, and that the only way you were really in danger is if you were cornered by a whole horde. Not so. They're actually wicked fast and super mean, at least in this instance. Given, the Zombieland zombies aren't classic "back from the grave" beasties - they're actually just normal people who got infected by some sort of new strain of mad cow disease. Completely ordinary bleeding-from-the-eyes, black-bile-vomiting, human-flesh-shredding people.  That means that when you put 'em to sleep, they're going down for the first time, so they're easier to kill than the traditional zombie. And quicker kills means extra time for - you guessed it - more kills. Kind of gory, consequently, but the super-explicit parts were easy to see coming (and thus easy to avoid watching in their entirety).

All told, a fairly believable romance, a cute discovery of friendship, and one terrifying clown zombie that was almost too much for me (Coulrophobia, anyone?). Quite an enjoyable flick, on the whole.

Deathdream, you're next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment