Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Intelligence

"Only the curious learn, and only the resolute overcome the obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient,"
-Eugene S. Wilson

What is intelligence? A measure . . . Of what?

I've spent my whole life thinking that intelligence was the end all of personal characteristics. I looked with envy upon the countenances of those great come-befores who had tasted the sweet nectar of Knowledge, and had, indeed, paved a way for others to drink.

How dearly I longed to sample more than anyone else. I relished quantity, not quality, and ended up gorging myself on trivial concepts and ideas. It mattered not that I had no love for what I learned. The learning was simply a means to an end.

Astounding, is it not, that one so intent on the acquisition of Knowledge could be so blind to the facts in front of her face?

For now I think I will just enjoy the tasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment